Friday, August 29, 2008

Weekend Warrior Gets Whacked!

A little background first which I'll break up into a few posts tonight and tomorrow:

So last night, my neighbour invites me and two others to play a friendly game of squash at a local community centre. That day I go to SportChek and pick up a good pair of Nikes with gel soles (so I won't slip, of course).

I hadn't played squash in over ten years. My wife and I were members of a squash club and visited it many times a week. I played squash, she did aerobics (with the occasional squash game with me). But once the kids were born, and work got more intense, we gave it up.

I did about 10 minutes of stretching my hams/Achilles/shoulders/etc. while I was waiting my turn to get my butt kicked by my neighbour. We had one court and were switching in and out and played for about 45 minutes.

I'm really getting warmed up and getting in some nice moves and good points. I hit a good one and waited for a volley. The second I went for it with a quick forward lunge off my right foot, I went down like a ton of bricks. It felt like I caught my heel under the glass door of the court or that I had hit myself in the ankle with my own racquet!

The guys watching said that my foot never left the court but my leg and body tried to go forward without it.

I was rushed to SouthLake Regional Health Centre in Newmarket, admitted to emergency. About an hour or so later (pretty quick for Canadian healthcare waiting times) I was put into a cast and sent home (because Orthopaedic surgeons don't work at midnight) with an appointment made for the next day to get surgery/consultation in the fracture clinic.

My wife of course has seen this too many times before; I go out with the guys, I get hurt, I call her to explain (I can see her in my mind slowly closing her eyes and shaking her head), then we're off to "recovery". She then forces me to lounge around the house and then I get quickly get into trouble when I try to do things as if I don't have a 5lb plaster cast on some part of my body.

I am lucky to have a woman like her!

1 comment:

Steve Lalanne said...

Interesting account. Since I am probably the same age (we attended VP at the same time, I think: 1982-86), this is a good warning for me, too.

Steve

P.S. I located this blog from Facebook.