Friday, October 24, 2008

If you don't want to get hit, stay off the sidewalk!

Note: The past month has been fairly uneventful. I didn't want to bore you with how I'm taking a shower, caring for the stitches (now gone), etc. I guess if I was still using the regular crutches, I would have more to share (accidents, lounging around, getting served, etc.) but since I can contribute to my own care and feeding, there isn't much to say. And I'm happy with that.

I started a new job on Monday, and was concerned that I couldn't drive for a few more weeks. A cab ride is $80 each way (flat rate)! The company has been gracious enough to let me work from home the first week until I find out what the deal is with the injury.

I went to my 8-week update with the Orthopedic surgeon yesterday, and it's all good news! My surgery is healing perfectly. In fact, it's a little ahead of schedule (if there is actually a schedule to keep).

He mentioned that some surgeons allow their patients to walk after 4 weeks, but he's found that that the Achilles would stretch too much and therefore weaken the step later on. He knew that I'm not the sedentary type so he's kept me off it longer than most to keep the tendon a little tighter.

He's glad that I have kept off the foot as much as I can and now that my ankle can bend beyond 90 degrees, I will be able to officially walk on it. He also said I could drive (woot!) although I would have to wear a regular shoe since I really can't feel the gas pedal. No argument from me. Freedom!

But I won't be able to walk on it for two more weeks. Although I am grateful about the iWalkFree device, I think it's time to start walking on my own. It snowed a few days ago (in October!) and I had to take it off and hobble on the walking boot for a bit since I was afraid of slipping on it and tearing my groin muscle.

It's all uphill from here, and now that I can drive, I can do it faster!

No comments: