Monday, September 22, 2008

Injured man gets the chair

Ever since my injury a few weeks back I have been very careful when taking a shower. I didn't want to get my first plaster cast or my red fibreglass cast wet in any way. The last thing I wanted was to have mould taking root on my leg and possibly on my stitches.

The kids had very small step-stool they used to brush their teeth when they couldn't reach the taps or the sink. I put that stool in the shower, brought the shower head down to the floor and then carefully climbed onto the little stool. I also had to clear the shower threshold!

The only problem with the little stool was that it wasn't designed for a 190 lb guy to sit on in the shower. It slid into the wall a few times while I was just about to sit on it. The last thing I wanted was to knock myself out after smashing my head on the shower wall. Not a nice thing for the kids to find when they got home from school!


So on Saturday we went to a Shoppers Drug Mart HomeHealthCare store in Newmarket to rent an Invacare CareGuard Tool-less Shower Chair. I lucked out and got one with a back since the regular ones were all out. Same price as a standard one too; $25 a month or $15 a week.

It has adjustable legs and nice stickey rubber feet (even when wet) so it doesn't slide! Just make sure you like the position of it before you sit because you won't be able to move it after you're on.

It's much larger than the stool but if you're stuck with having to take a shower sitting down, these things are a must-have.


No comments: