Monday, September 1, 2008

Crutches are really from hell, you know

Can someone please tell me why, with so many advances in medical science, are crutches still designed as implements of torture? When did having a wrecked ankle mean that I would lose the ability to use my hands?!

The only changes to crutches that I have seen in my lifetime are the transition from wood to metal. That's it.

I went to Upper Canada Mall on Saturday and was glad that there was a wheelchair available for me to use. Now that may sound like fun but let me assure you that pushing yourself around in a fairly heavy, generic, vinyl, steel and plastic wheelchair is not that much fun. But at least I wouldn't have to hobble around on aluminum crutches.

When I was told by the doctor on Friday that I would have to be off the foot (non-load bearing) for at least two months until I got into the walking boot, I broke into a cold sweat. Not because of the length of time to recover, because I knew my injury would be getting better. I was more upset being crutch-bound for the entire time. The stress from the crutches on my body would NOT get better as the days clicked away.

I'm sure crutches are part of the arsenal of implements of torture in hell and Satan makes you use them to do things like go up and down stairs, carry hot cups of coffee, or even eat a banana without sitting down. Since I'm not going there, I figured I wouldn't want to experience hell for the months I would be off my foot.

There was no way I would be able to be out and about using crutches and/or a wheelchair.

While researching Achilles tendon injuries and treatments online, I came upon something called an iWalkFree Handsfree Crutch. Here is the story of why it was created. and here is a picture of it.



Interesting and made in Canada!

So I go hunting for a medical supply company that carries this amazing device but lo and behold, none carry it. Hm.

Although I knew that my insurance would cover it, I couldn't wait for it. I found a lightly used one on eBay for $175! I contacted the seller and asked if I could try it out. He was located 30 minutes from home, so on Monday afternoon, my family took a trip to check it out.

I tried it on, did a bit of wobbling and hobbling, then finally got the hang of putting it on and taking it off. That took me about 15 minutes. I was very impressed with the simplicity of the device.

Why in the world do hospitals and clinics not even mention that something like this exists? Maybe the company should boost their marketing and promotion of the product.

No matter. I have it and you can't take it away from me.

No comments: