Thursday, September 18, 2008

Good bye cast! Hello, uh, different kind of cast.

I went to the fracture clinic at Southlake Regional Health Centre in Newmarket this afternoon to get the cast removed and the surgery examined. The doctor told me that the stitches were healing nicely and after moving my foot to the 90 degree position, said that the Achilles was remarkably flexible for only three weeks out of surgery.

Verdict: no hard cast but a walking boot! At least I can take it off to stretch the Achilles, shower (can't submerge it though) and air it out. Wonderful! I still have to sleep with it on because my foot may be stretched too much under the covers, or even hit by my other foot.

I had brought an Aircast FP (Foam Pneumatic) walking boot my wife had borrowed from her business partner. No use paying for one, right? It comes with a little rubber pump thingy that attaches to two little nozzles on each side of the boot. One end of the pump inflates, the other deflates.

The doctor also made sure that it was clean or I would have to get a new one. They've had other patients bring their own only to get infections because the boot wasn't properly cleaned. That's nasty.

I'm due to go back in 5 weeks to possibly begin walking and rehab. I can't wait.

No comments: